Monday, March 10, 2008

Boring, Boring Kennington!

After the disappointment of my first round of federation games, I decided to do a Sven and scout some players while watching TV. My beloved St Etienne took on Marseille in the early evening game on Cannal +. The reason for this new transfer tactic was born out of my inability to sign a star player having missed out on both Nani and Babel in the past 24 hours. If David Moyes can do such a great job of creating a team whereby the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, then maybe this is the tactic which could work for me. The St Etienne game was a disappointing 2-0 defeat but on the basis of a ok performance and goal by Marseille's Valbuena I decided to give him a 24 hour trial with FC Kennington (any players with wages less than 10k can be taken on trial).


I played 4 games yesterday (home and away against two teams) and although I played well in all of them, my striker Gomis was having another bad federation day scoring only 1 goal. The result of Gomis failure in front of goal was 3 0-0's and a 1-0 win. In my matches with FC London, I was just unlucky, against Corbridge Cobra's though the result was due to the tactical genuis/madness of my opposition. Before the game he told me he wanted two 0-0 and that he would get them (he was right!). The screen shot shows the formations we used, he parked the bus outside his goal and without a real star to create that bit of magic I just could not break him down.


With my Federation at the minute I am officially in hiding, this is primarily because there is a guy who has just bought Ronaldhino and he is currently murderising the opposition in our league. I am trying to sign a couple of decent players then I will go after him. This is what I call federation tactics which I will explain a little now:


When the federation season starts you are given a fixture list telling you when a particular fixture must be completed (see screen shot). If you do not play the game by that date then it goes to an AI match and the computer plays the game of your opponent. You can however play as many federation games as quickly as you like (in theory you could play the whole season in one day if everyone was online and up for it). So being able to challenge other member who are online leads to the following situation, the teams that are the strongest try to play their games as quickly as possible so they can beat the weaker teams before they improve, to get around this you can set your status to do not disturb and basically hide until you are ready face the music. This feature is very good as it stops you from being pressured into playing matches your team is not ready for.


Since my day of boring results I have been tinkering with my tactics to try and get Gomis in a better position and to assess the potential of Valbuena in the friendly games who seems to be giving me some much needed pace down the right flank. I have also sent Goran to the central defence as he was finding life in midfield a little too hectic. I am starting to have some success with my tweaked tactics, so I may have another crack at the feds tonight, but Ronaldinho and co will definitely have to wait for another. The point I am trying to make talking about federation tactics is that although the game is constant and can appear to move very quickly at times you can still have quite a good level of control about how quickly the world moves for you.

No comments: